1) On the broadcast of today’s Cubs/Padres game:
Pat Hughes: Be careful with this guy, Ron: he spells his name Cla–no “y,” but it’s pronounced “Clay.” I thought it was a mistake. It disturbed me. I couldn’t sleep last night. These things are important.
Ron Santo: You’re bothered a lot of the time, aren’t you?
Pat Hughes: Can’t you tell?
2) Cardnilly heard two people in the stands at Busch Stadium talking about Juan Encarnacion:
Inmate-looking guy [re-emerging from the concourse]: Say, who hit that last home run?
Mildly frightened bystander: Oh, one of the new guys. I forget his nameâ€¦
ILG: Was it Incarceration?
MFB: Yep. That was the guy.
3) Operation Shutdown may be over, unless Derek Bell can talk the judicial system into letting him continue his workless protest.
4) Pedro has a green thumb. Now if only he’d grow out his hair again, I could wholeheartedly root for him.
5) Congratulations to Jim, who made the 600th post to this blog earlier in the week.