I recently took advantage of Apple’s price drop to buy a new 60-gigabyte iPod Photo, and to partially finance that purchase, I have just put my old 30-gigabyte 3rd-generation iPod up for sale on eBay. Maybe “old” isn’t quite the right word, since it was purchased new at the end of June 2003, but I guess 21 months is practically an eternity in iPod terms.
This is one of the iPods that accompanied me and Levi on the trip last August, which means it spent a significant amount of time in the glove compartment of a nearly-brand-new 2005 Chevrolet Impala — how many iPods can say that? Why, it’s been to such far-flung locales as Montreal, Tampa, and the Charles Schulz Museum in Santa Rosa, California. It’s even been listened to on board Amtrak trains!
Anyway, it’s still working great, as I attempted to explain in the auction description, and I managed to save the entire boatload of accessories and the box, so those are included as well. If you’re the winning bidder, and you let me know you heard about this auction here on baseballrelated.com, you’ll get free shipping and insurance if you’re in the United States, and a discount on the shipping and insurance if you’re anywhere else in the world.
(And a note that perhaps only Levi will understand: you may remember the 30-gig iPod was named North & Clybourn, so to keep the naming scheme, I had to pick a larger locale to name the new 60-gig iPod after. It’s named Clark & Lake.)
stacey: did you ever have a 5 gig iPod? was it named jarvis?
Jim: Jarvis would be more of a 20GB iPod. 5 gigs would have to be Isabella, I think.
Levi: So how much did you get for it?
Jim: I don’t know yet. The winning bidder sent me an apologetic e-mail an hour after the auction ended, saying he didn’t have enough money to cover his bid. I’ve sent out Second Chance offers to the top non-winners, which means they get a “Buy It Now” opportunity at their bid price. If none of them accept the Second Chance offer, I’m going to relist it, but that won’t happen until at least next Saturday, because you have to wait 7 days before filing a “non-paying bidder” report to get your eBay fees refunded. (Because of the quickness and apologeticness, I’m going to file a report that said we mutually agreed the transaction wouldn’t happen, so the winner won’t get any strikes on his eBay record. I’ve already sent him an e-mail explaining that, and giving him the friendly advice that not all eBay sellers will be that nice.)
Levi: Man. That sucks. I understand being surprised you end up paying as much as you do–having thought, say, that you surely wouldn’t reach your maximum bid. I can imagine some regret. But I can’t quite imagine not having at least counted the pennies beforehand, just in case.